Thursday 26 September 2013

Statement following the meeting with Alan Franks today at Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council


I was very grateful to Alan Franks, of Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council, for agreeing to meet me today.I was disappointed that Cllr Harvey refused to meet me based on grounds that this is not a European issue. I would like to remind Cllr Harvey that the people of Nuneaton voted to elect me and represent them on a number of issues, the Nuneaton and North Warwickshire Equestrian Centre being one of them.

Mr Franks was very helpful in laying out the Council position on the current situation at the Nuneaton and North Warwickshire Equestrian Centre.

I was keen to urge Mr Franks, and to impart on the elected members of the Council, that I believe that it is in the interests of all parties to sit down and simply talk.

Expensive legal action is not in the best interests of the charity, nor is it in the best interests of the taxpayers in Nuneaton.

The facility in Galley Common has existed in some form since 1979, and we must ensure that it stays in place for a further 30 years and more.

Users of this facility are passionate that they do not want it to close, and the petition delivered last week was proof of the strength of feelings.

Legal action could prove unnecessary if parties would sit down and have talks which could secure the future of this much loved, community facility which has provided joy to many people over a number of years.

I will continue this fight.