Wednesday 6 October 2010

Trains, Planes and change of schedule

One of the more frustrating elements of being an MEP is the travel and in particular the need for flexibility due to last minute changes of plan. Today is a good example. I left home at 7.15am to catch a train to London to support constituents from Barnacle, Coventry at the High Court in London in their attempt to obtain a permanent injunction against inappropriate development in their community by gypsies. I decided to not attend Brussels today to support them. Just as the train pulled away from Birmingham International I got a phone call informing me that the matter had been adjourned. I got off the train in Coventry and waited for the next train back to Birmingham.

I spent the morning in my office going through constituency matters including writing to Local Communities Minister, Eric Pickles demanding that he revoke John Prescott's circular 2006/01 that has allowed gypsies to destroy Green Belt land.

I then re-arranged my flight so I could get to Brussels for the plenary session.